Food And Arthritis

Add the RIGHT foods to your diet to REDUCE arthritic pain and inflammation.
Include the WRONG foods to your diet and INCREASE arthritic pain and inflammation.
My choice? A life-journey based on a low-oil whole-food plant based diet.
Whatever your current state of health, make yourself healthier - you deserve it. Start your plant based diet journey today.

Monday 4 July 2016

A cooling shower

Well, I am into my third day of the Wim Hof Method and I think it is going to become part of my armour of defence against arthritis.  It is quite amazing to think that with little or no training that I can comfortably hold my breath for over two minutes!  But of course that is not the point.  The point is to help provide some extra strength against the ravages of arthritis.  Right now see little evidence except for a feeling of calm throughout my body.  That in itself is a good thing for people with arthritis, of course.  Anything that can give relief from the aches and pains without drugs must be a good thing.  But, having started down this road, I am looking for more.

The videos I have watched (and some of them several times) talk about energising the body.  That would be a good thing.  They talk about increased focus, and again I look forward to that.  In chemical terms the breathing helps remove carbon dioxide and increase oxygen levels in the body.  I said I have watched related videos several times, I have done this to help get the process as right as possible.


An interesting thing about the breathing is it reminds me of the breathing technique I learnt whilst practising Transcendental Meditation (TM) whilst a student forty or more years go.  I reviewed this technique and find that its goals seem very similar.  The calm after the breathing is very similar as well.  No doubt many disciplines related to Yoga, Buddhism and whatever else also have breathing techniques that have similar after effects.  The thing about the Wim Hof method is its simplicity and the attempts at removal of any associations with religion.  Not that TM was at all religious, in my experience.  So if I can bring to bear some of my TM technique along with the Wim Hof Method, then I will do that.

Remember my immediate goal is, now that I am walking tolerably well, to build up my energy levels.

I started my second Wim Hof Method phase this morning by having a partially cold shower after the breathing exercises.  Strangely when I added warmth to the coldness I had a feeling of uncomfortableness.  I wasn't expecting that.  That's not to say I am looking forward to a purely cold shower.

This is really odd, because as anyone with chronic arthritis will tell you, you will do anything to have some comfort in your life - anything.  And here am I doing the opposite.


1 comment:

  1. It's hard to find knowledgeable people in this particular subject, but you sound
    like you know what you're talking about!
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete